to become a University of Maine Cooperative Extension Master Gardener
Volunteer. I understand that I must
attend at least 80% of the sessions, and complete a minimum of 40
hours-approved volunteer work within one year of completing the course to
become certified as a Master Gardener Volunteer.
The Master Gardener course manual is an
online resource. It contains instructional videos that require a reliable
If I am
accepted as a Master Gardener Volunteers trainee, I will abide by all
regulations and recommendations of the University of Maine Cooperative
Extension. I understand that as a Master Gardener Volunteer, I am considered
a volunteer representative of the University of Maine. I commit to
conducting myself in accordance with the established University of Maine
Cooperative Extension volunteer
standards of behavior. I consent to a background check*, at the expense
of the University of Maine, prior to enrollment in the Master Gardener
*Background checks are required of
applicants wishing to volunteer as Master Gardeners working with youth and
where vulnerable populations are involved as determined by UMaine Extension.
*Due to demand Cumberland County can accommodate residents only.
Participants not willing/able to
complete 40 hours of volunteer service within a 12-month period following
training should not apply for the Master Gardener Volunteers Program.
1. Have you ever participated in a Master
Gardener Volunteers Program in Maine or another state?
If yes, indicate where and in what year(s):
2. Have you ever applied for the Master Gardener Volunteers training in
Maine prior to this year?
3. On a scale of 1-10, where 1 is beginner and 10 is expert, how would you
rate your current gardening knowledge and ability? Please explain your
4. Why do you wish to become a Master Gardener Volunteer? (Really think
about this question and respond accordingly)
5. In what ways do you plan to apply the knowledge and skills gained from
this Master Gardener Volunteers training?
6. What type(s) of volunteer work have you done? Briefly describe your
history as a volunteer. Consider areas such as school, Red Cross, youth
sports, scouting, 4-H, public committees, non-profit work, church, or
Nursing Home Volunteer
||2 hrs per
||Jan. 2000 -
7. Please list two areas you would like to be proficient in as a result of
your Master Gardener Volunteers training.
8. During the gardening season, at what times
are you available to volunteer? (Check all that apply):
9. Do you currently volunteer or have you ever
volunteered for other UMaine Extension programs?
If yes, please list which programs
(Examples: 4-H, Executive Committee, gleaners, etc.):